Extenuating Circumstances Policy
Hi-Tech Training aims to ensure that special consideration is given to candidates who are eligible to apply under this policy, without compromising the assessment of the skills, knowledge, understanding, or competence being measured. Hi-Tech Training will seek to provide the most appropriate way for the candidate to redress any disadvantage occasioned by an exceptional circumstance. Each request will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Hi-Tech Training will follow a fair and open process to ensure that no unlawful discrimination occurs. Where an extenuating circumstances request is approved, special consideration may result in, but is not limited to, one or more of the following:
- an extension granted (e.g., to a closing date)
- being registered for the next available exam date
- an additional re-sit opportunity granted without penalty
- a fee reduction or transfer of fees towards the next sitting.
It is important to note that not all the outcomes listed will be reasonable, permissible, or practical in certain situations or for every assessment. In no circumstances will marks and/or assessment results be changed based on an extenuating circumstances request.
Extenuating circumstances are situations or events which unexpectedly interfere with a learner’s ability to undertake all or part of an assessment.
Hi-Tech Training will allow learners to apply for compassionate consideration in relation to their assessment if they cannot properly complete a specific assessment due to extenuating circumstances.
Examples of extenuating circumstances may include:
- serious illness or bereavement of a close family member or close friend
- involvement in an accident
- domestic crisis
- severe effects of pregnancy or other incapacitating illness of the learner
Examples of circumstances in which extenuating circumstance applications are unlikely to be granted include:
- Typical symptoms associated with exam stress (e.g., anxiety, sleeping disturbances etc.)
- Minor illnesses such as a common cold
- Relationship difficulties
- Financial difficulties
- Accommodation issues
- Commuting issues
- Misreading the examination timetable
- Paid employment or voluntary work
- IT and/or computer failure
- English is not your first language
- Sporting commitments
- Debs/weddings/social events
- Election/campaigning commitments
Extenuating Circumstances Procedure
To apply for compassionate consideration the learner should contact the Hi-Tech Training Operations Manager at the earliest opportunity. Learners seeking compassionate consideration may be required to provide appropriate evidence, for example, a note from a GP.
The following diagram illustrates the process for requesting Extenuating Circumstances consideration.
- Step 1. Learner advises tutor or Hi-Tech Training Operations Manager of the circumstances giving rise to the request for the extenuating circumstances request, as soon as possible.
- Step 2. The Learner receives verbal and/or written acknowledgement of the request from Hi-Tech Training
- Step 3. Hi-Tech Training may request the learner to provide evidence to support their request. This could take the form of a hospital appointment notification, a GP letter or similar.
- Step 4. Hi-Tech Training will screen the request and any supporting evidence requested/supplied. Hi-Tech Training reserves the right to deny an extenuating circumstances request. Hi-Tech Training will provide the learner with a written explanation of the reason(s) for the denial in the unlikely event of this happening.
- Step 5. Once screening has concluded, Hi-Tech Training will liaise with the learner, the assessor and any other relevant party to arrange a resit of the assessment.
Extenuating Circumstances Request Form
An Extenuating Circumstances Request Form is available on request from email@example.com or for download.