Alternative Energy Technology
The Alternative Energy Technology Course is a practically based alternative energy course designed to give participants an understanding of alternative energy options and provide them with that practical knowledge and skills to build solar to electric and wind to electric systems at a foundation level. The course is designed to be of benefit to people either working or intending to work as: – Alternative Energy Installers or anyone just wishing to gain a practical knowledge of Practical Alternative Energy Systems.
Duration and Schedule
The next Alternative Energy Technology Course commences on Monday 8th May 2023 at 7.00 pm. and takes place from 7.00pm – 10.00pm every Monday and Wednesday evening for the duration of the 5-week Course. View our schedule for fees and booking. Course fee is €800 (€100 Booking Fee + Balance of €700).
Online Virtual Classroom – how it works
The course will be delivered through virtual classroom sessions via Zoom. During the Online Virtual Classroom sessions, trainees will have a live video feed with their instructor talking to them, doing practical live demonstrations on equipment shipped to you and involved you actively in the learning.
We will send out a practical kit so that trainees can complete assignments and practical work at home. The kit consists of Solar PV Panels, charge regulator. battery, cables, connectors, components including resistors, diodes, fuses, LEDs, Mulitmeter, etc. Trainees will build various projects as part of the course. The kit forms an integral part of the course, so full course fees need to be paid at last 7 days prior to course commencement to allow time to ship the kit in time for the course. The kit needs to be returned to Hi-Tech Training at the end of the course.
In preparation for this, we plan to have a quick informal online meeting about a week before course commencement for about an hour just to make sure that people get connected in properly, let you know what the online virtual classroom will be like and go through any questions you may have. To join the virtual sessions, you will need a PC/Laptop or Tablet with an internet connection. Joining instructions (logon IDs, etc) will be sent before the Informal Induction session.
- Consider the advantages and disadvantages of the different alternative energy systems
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the operation of a wide range of electronic components and circuits and their applications in Alternative Energy Systems
- Become competent in the correct use of electronic test and measurement equipment such as Analogue and Digital Multimeters
- Build a simple photovoltaic to electric system
- Build a simple wind to electric system
- Effectively connect up, test and fault-find system elements
- Alternative Energy: – Introduction, terminology, types and applications
- Using technology to reduce CO2 emissions and energy costs
- Advantages and disadvantages of the various types of alternative energy including Solar Thermal Energy, Hydro Energy, Biomass Energy, Geothermal Heating.
- Terms: – Source, Renewable, Sustainable, Photovoltaic, Carbon neutral, Active/Passive
- Sustainability Issues, Health & Safety and Environmental precautions.
- Introduction to Electronics: – Electric Current, OHMS Law, Insulation, Conduction, Kilowatt hours, and related power calculations and formulae. Fuses and trip switches. Wiring techniques. Practical uses of commonly used components e.g. diodes, relays, transformers
- Become competent in the correct use of electronic test and measurement equipment such as Analogue and Digital Multimeters, Battery Test Meters.
- Inverters; – types, uses, ratings, calculations, connection s
- Connections to electrical devices
- Calculating loads and selecting battery ampere hour capacity
- Construct, test and fault find a Wind energy harnessing system
- Construct, test and fault find a Solar energy harnessing system
- Determine using online data sources the effective performance of systems at different global locations and seasonal variations
- Sustainable and Energy Efficient Building Design
- Relevant standards and issues, Changing technology and keeping updated
- On completion of the Course, having been successful in TWO assessments (one project and one written examination) the participant will receive a Hi-Tech Training Certificate stating the Grade obtained, be it: PASS, CREDIT or DISTINCTION. PASS = 50% – 64%. CREDIT = 65 – 79%. DISTINCTION = 80% – 100%.
A large percentage of the course timetable is allocated to building, setting up, testing and troubleshooting faults using core elements of Alternative Energy Systems. At the end of the course an interested and hardworking participant will have a foundation knowledge of what practical alternative energy is all about. Each module of the training program is backed up by practical exercises, demonstrations and course materials. These training methods give the participant a greater grasp of the practical aspects of the industry and provides them with the “Hands On” experience and confidence which are so essential for success.