Access Control Course
An effective Access Control System can form an integral part of an effective security system. At Hi-Tech Training our course is designed to give participants a practical knowledge of the operation and installation of Access Control Systems.
Our experience has taught us that in order to gain the required skills an installer needs to learn through as much practical training as possible. This course involves 50% “Hands-On” training which involves building, setting up, testing and troubleshooting faults using core elements of modern Access Control Systems.
At the end of the course, an interested and hardworking participant will have a good solid foundation of knowledge of what access control is all about.
This practically based Access Control course is designed to give participants a practical knowledge of the operation and installation of Access Control Systems at a foundation level. Each module of the training program is backed up by practical exercises, demonstrations and course materials.
These training methods give the participant a greater grasp of the practical aspects of the industry and provide them with the “Hands-On” experience and confidence which are so essential for success.
Duration and Schedule
Hi-Tech Training Access Control Course. Next course commencing Tuesday 26th March at 7.00pm (Tueday and Thursday evenings (7-10pm) on Zoom for 2 weeks, then last day in centre on Saturday 6th April (10am–5pm).
A payment of €100 secures your place on your chosen course. The balance of the course fees of €700 can be paid shortly before course commencement.
Online Virtual Classroom – how it works?
The course will be delivered through blended training consisting of 4 online virtual classroom sessions commencing on Tuesday 26th March at 7.00pm. (Tuesdays and Thursdays 7pm-10pm). The last session will involve the additional practical work for the course as well as the written examination and practical assessments which will take place at our training centre at 43 North Great Georges Street, Dublin 1 on Saturday 6th March (10am-5pm). (completed online for non ROI learners).
During the virtual classroom sessions, Trainees will have a live video feed with their instructor talking to them, doing practical live demonstrations on equipment being involved actively in the learning.
We will send out a practical kit so that trainees can complete assignments and practical work at home. The kit is the property of Hi-Tech Training and will be returned to Hi-Tech Training on the last day of the course.
(The kits may also be purchased by the learner…. See the Kits Page Link for more details).
The kit consists of a multimeter, connectors, components including resistors, diodes, fuses and security cable, electric locks (maglock and electric strike), access control keypad door control unit, emergency egress button, exit button, and power supply unit, Trainees will build various projects as part of the course.
The kit forms an integral part of the course, so full course fees need to be paid at least 7 days prior to course commencement to allow time to ship the kit in time for the course.
* If attending the course from outside of Ireland the course practical training kit must be purchased via our online shop in time for delivery before course commencement. The equipment will then remain the property of the trainee.
In preparation for each course, we have a quick informal free 1h online meeting approx 7 days prior to course commencement to make sure that trainees get connected through Zoom properly, let them know what the virtual classroom will be like and go through any questions they may have. To join the virtual sessions, you will need a PC/Laptop or Tablet with an internet connection. Joining instructions (login IDs, etc.) will be sent before the Informal Induction session.
- Understand the fundamental elements that make up an Access Control System.
- Fit the principal components of a stand-alone system and networked systems.
- Connect and programme a card, keypad and proximity stand-alone system.
- Effectively connect up, test and fault-find system elements.
- Be aware of the issues associated with Access Control Systems.
- Have an awareness of the changing technology and its impact on the industry
Access Control Course Content
- Access Control Systems: – Introduction, principles, uses and applications.
- Elements of basic and advanced, insecure and secure Access systems.
- Stages of Access Control: – Identification, Decision, Action.
- Control Components: – Reader, Keypad, Receiver, Lock.
- Terms: – magnetic strip, proximity, biometrics, card-free access, readers and tokens.
- Potential weakness and vulnerability of poor system design.
- Standalone, Networked and Computer-based systems.
- Locks: – Mechanical and electromechanical, mortise and rim release units.
- Use of timers and timed zones within access control systems.
- Storing information gathered by an access control system.
- Cables: – Types, uses, and applications, Power Supply Units.
- Fault-finding techniques. Relevant standards and issues, Changing technology and keeping updated.
On completion of the Access Control Course, having been successful in TWO examinations (one written, one practical) the participant will receive a Hi-Tech Training Certificate.
QQI Award Options
In order to meet the QQI syllabus requirements for the Intruder Alarm and Access Control QQI Level 5 Component Award – 5N1776, participants must successfully complete the following 3 Hi-Tech Training Courses:
Note: - To achieve a QQI Qualification a Valid Irish PPSN or UK National Insurance Number is required
The Access Control Course requires BOOKING FEE + COURSE BALANCE FEE + TRAINING KIT!